1Likes
  • 1 Post By ueww40

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Timing belt tensioner on 2007 Elantra

Can anybody tell me what the significance is with the spring loaded lever on the timing belt tension pulley? What do I do with it? What is the installation and adjustment procedure for it and what is it for? The 2006 model only had a tension pulley mounted on an eccentric which you turned until the belt had the right tension.
mkm558 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The belt tensioner maintains constant tension on the belt to keep belt tite to hold valve timing steady. Believe me you don't want one to strip out the teeth on inside and jump timing. I that's exactly what happen to me a few months ago, luckily I've been working on my own cars since I bought my first one, 40years ago. Have done it many times, on older cars, just motor/trany under the hood, those days are long gone! the tensioner is a pain to get at and a word of advice change the belt before it needs it. The top belt cover comes off to inspect the belt, the whole belt! with trany in neutral pull coil wire, bump the engine over to check the entire belt, look for cracks, missing teeth, fraying, etc. The manual will show what to look for and how to change it, should be changed every 60,000 miles to be on the safe side!
It's a good idea to spend the 25 bucks or so and get a service manual and get familiar w/youtube.
I hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm558 View Post
The belt tensioner maintains constant tension on the belt to keep belt tite to hold valve timing steady. Believe me you don't want one to strip out the teeth on inside and jump timing. I that's exactly what happen to me a few months ago, luckily I've been working on my own cars since I bought my first one, 40years ago. Have done it many times, on older cars, just motor/trany under the hood, those days are long gone! the tensioner is a pain to get at and a word of advice change the belt before it needs it. The top belt cover comes off to inspect the belt, the whole belt! with trany in neutral pull coil wire, bump the engine over to check the entire belt, look for cracks, missing teeth, fraying, etc. The manual will show what to look for and how to change it, should be changed every 60,000 miles to be on the safe side!
It's a good idea to spend the 25 bucks or so and get a service manual and get familiar w/youtube.
I hope this helps.
No mkm, it didn't help at all. You just gave me a lecture on how wise you are and how stupid I am. I am familiar with youtube and the manual sucks, not even worth 5 bucks. All the stuff you told me, you must have gathered I already know. If you really wanted to help, instead of just blowiating, you would have given me precise instructions on how to install the timing belt tensioner of a 2007 Hyundai Elantra, like for instance: Where do the 2 metal tabs of the base plate go, what is their position, or it doesn't matter where they go? Or something constructive like this. Please try again if you know anything worth sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page