User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
'07 elantra 2.0L won't start

I drove my car the day before it started & ran fine. Today, turn key nothing. Checked the usual things; batt, cables, fuses, relays, etc. I put a charger on batt just to be sure, display showed 12v on batt, should've been enough to crank starter. I been a DIY mechanic since I bought my first car in '76.
Disconnected wire to solenoid, hooked jumper to sol touched jumper to batt, starter cranked over. The Haynes manual only mentions starter relay and directs you to wiring diagrams. Removed start relay, get ~76.2ohms cross coil field.
Does anyone know a better way to check relay or the resistance range of the coil?
I haven't checked for voltage where relay plugs in, unsure if it's safe to do so. I don't want to make matters worse by frying something critical.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I checked the relay, OK, Had been meaning to replace crank pos sensor I already had it on hand. The check eng lite has been on, my scanner showed crank sensor and "temp too low for a closed loop sys, what the ____?" Anyway, after replacing sens, 'check eng lite' went out scanner showed no faults put everything back together, my car started right up. Who would've thought?
I had gotten the older cars 'you know' open hood you have a motor and a tranny, none of these confounding sensors, computers, etc. Thank goodness for youtube showed me how to check start relay, I already had one in my Amazon cart!
I've had little trouble w/my '07 elantra, smallest big thing was timing belt stripped out "stripped out" had bent valves. Made a rookie mistake and bought rebuilt head online, that's a nightmare for a different forum. I'll never buy anything from Clear Water Cylinder heads ever again and deal locally for critical things like I should've done to begin with. If I still had my shop tools I would've done the job myself, there wasn't room during the move from Missouri.
Bottom line is, my car runs again and gets 31mpg, before crank sensor replacement, haven't had a chance to drive it around, just got it running tonight.

Problem solved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page