Valve lash clearance - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Valve lash clearance

I just had the head of my 2007 Elantra rebuilt, valves and valve seats reground, some burned exhaust valves replaced and now I am about to put everything back together. But before I do I want to make sure that all the valve lash clearances are correct and correct them if needed. I have 2 questions. What are the correct intake and exhaust valve clearance values and where can I get the valve lifter shims needed to make the adjustments? I tried parts stores, the internet, nothing! Are these shims a strict dealer item?
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I also have an '07 Elantra 2.0, unlike you I bought a "rebuilt?" head online ( big mistake). I'm old enough to know better, shame on me!
I also tried to find shims locally no luck, online were too expensive!!

anyway, Intake standard is 1.7566in / 44.618mm
limit is 1.7487in / 44.518mm

Exhaust standard is 1.7527in / 44.518mm
limit is 1.7487in / 44.418mm
According to my Haynes manual

The rebuilt head was supposed to have been steam cleaned, it was steam cleaned fully assembled. Oil galleys filthy, valve clearance way out of whack ( would not have run!), ports were filthy, underside of lifters filthy, shims too thick causing extremely thin valve clearance, head arrived w/out valve chain or cvvt unit. Had to transfer cvvt unit, I bought new chain and tensioner. I got the head cleaner w/scrub brushes, dawn, degreaser and compressed air, than their "steam cleaning".
I used a digital dial caliper to check shims and diamond hone to get the shims close to the standard, they were too thick. I'd done too much work on head to return it, I probably would have received another filthy head in same or worse condition.
After re-assembly and installed my car ran great, before timing belt stripped out, I was getting about 31mpg combined, after newer head about 32mpg combined. I'm happy now. If I still had my equipment I would have done work myself, didn't have room for it all after moving.

Word to the wise; have mechanical work done DIY, or by a reputable local shop.

Last edited by mkm558; 09-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I found a link for Hyundai shims 2222723616 - Hyundai Shim. Valve, camshaft | Jim Ellis Hyundai Parts, Atlanta GA
to find correct shim use this formula;

N = T + (A-V)

N = THICKNESS OF NEW SHIM
T = THICKNESS OF OLD SHIM
A = VALVE CLEARANCE MEASURED
V = DESIRED VALVE CLEARANCE

If I find another link I'll make a quick reply w/link.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

mkm, thanks for the link and the formula. Very helpful. I am sorry to hear that you were so disappointed about the head you received. I just got my head back from a local machine shop here in town and from what I can see they did an excellent job. Will see when I put it all back together. However my head was so warped that they had to shave off quite a bit and now I am forced to use a shim to make up for lost clearance. I know the shim is not cheap. Almost as much as the gasket. I got mine from Rock Auto Parts. It is an enginetech shim and I paid 19 bucks for it. What you gonna do? However I am a little confused about your valve lash specs. Looks like they are off by a few spaces (1.7566in / 44.618mm), that's 1.76", quite a gap. Please double check. From what I found out so far, shouldn't it be more like: intake: 0.0079" (0.20 mm)?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueww40 View Post
I just had the head of my 2007 Elantra rebuilt, valves and valve seats reground, some burned exhaust valves replaced and now I am about to put everything back together. But before I do I want to make sure that all the valve lash clearances are correct and correct them if needed. I have 2 questions. What are the correct intake and exhaust valve clearance values and where can I get the valve lifter shims needed to make the adjustments? I tried parts stores, the internet, nothing! Are these shims a strict dealer item?
Thanks for your help
You can find the OEM Hyundai replacement online at a nice price and fast shipping. Here's a link to the part number page https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/gen...227-23616.html for future reference. This is my go to source for everything OE Hyundai. Hope it helps.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Valve lash clearance:
Intake valves ideal=0.0079" (0.20 mm) - limits are: 0.0047" (0.12 mm) to 0.0110" (0.28 mm)
Exhaust valves ideal=0.110" (0.28 mm) - limits are: 0.0079" (0.20 mm) to 0.0142" (0.36 mm)
The shims are a dealer item and very expensive (between 8-11 bucks a piece). Here is what I did. The machine hop who did my head was kind enough to let me borrow their valve removal tool. I am very technically inclined and have a good man cave with bench drill, grinder, vice and lots of tools. I made a holder from wood, which allowed me to position the valve stems in a perfect 90 degree angle against the side of the grinding wheel. After I had the cams back installed on the head I measured all the clearances and started to swap shims around to fix as many valve lashes as possible keeping in mind that the trade off was not to go negative, meaning not to wind up with any valves too loose. I was lucky that all the valves that were left to adjust were too tight. I then took these valves and ground the valve stems down to the right size and lash. I was lucky, by carefully planning and measuring all of this with an electronic digital caliper I was able to get a perfect lash on all valves without having to order any shims. But you have got to be very careful when you grind. You just touch the grinding wheel a split second and you are down already thousands of an inch (or mm if that's your preference). It's a tedious, meticulous endeavor. It's trial and error. Some of the valve stems I did 3 or 4 times until I got it right. If you overgrind you are done. You then need to get a bigger shim. There are 16 valves at let's say 10 bucks a shim (and that is if you are absolutely sure what you need, that's already $160). The ideal thing would be to have a box full of all the shims and you just swap out shims until you get it right. That however would be prohibitive cost wise. It took me 2 days to do just the valve lash fine tuning, but it was worth it. It also proofed that I am destructively anal, but it was also a challenge to get it perfect. Good Luck!

Last edited by ueww40; 12-13-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in