2013 SE coupe suspension - Page 3 - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used a brace on my Acura RSX and it really made a difference, so I am a fan. The only brace I have seen for the coupe was sold by a Korean company. It was shown with the plastic cover removed... but no details whether it could be reinstalled or had to be left off. I guess I could cut the cover...but I am sure someone will come up with a design eventually.... patience, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:27 AM

Thumbs up KYB shocks work for Elantra GT, and they work well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B i l s t e r 44 View Post
Your troubles can be over with, with less than a $150 fix...admittedly the rear shocks on our cars are...junk. From another forum I am a member of, we are and I have already done so, replacing the rear shock absorbers with KYB #554384 Gas-A-Just shock absorbers. They totally smooth out the Elantra's skipping and rough/unsure feel on rough roads and highway/freeway bumps that plague our Elantras right from the get go. These shocks make a WORLD of difference in the way the Elantra not only drives, but takes bumps and ruts and highway expansion joints and all that! It will feel like a different car ALL together, especially at highway speeds. I bought mine from Rock Auto for $62.50 a piece, and WOW! You will love these people...don't even mess around, get the KYB's!
Hi everyone. This is my very first post to the Elantra forum. We purchased our first Hyundai product in December 2012 an Elantra GT SE Tech.

I feel compelled to write this message on the topic of the Elantra rear suspension. I noticed this problem on my car, and it seemed weird. I had our tire guy look at it, and he could not explain it. The problem was not balance, alignment or tires; that much he knew.

I started reading various Elantra forums to see if anyone else had this issue. It turned out, many did. Descriptions of lateral-shift, quirky, hopping around, loosing grip, kicking-out, fishtailing, all describe the exact same issue.

· My concern was not that the car does indeed lose control, but it ‘feels’ like you will lose control, which causes the driver to compensate, and possibly over-compensate.
· Worse, on icy or wet roads, the lateral shift itself may in fact be a safety issue, on top of driver compensation.

However, compared to the Sedan owners experienced for a model 3-years deep, very little was written about the 2013 Elantra GT’s specific issue. So, I was really uncertain how good a solution the KYB shocks would really be. After-all, the newly designed GT came with improved suspension, and this problem was known to Hyundai for 3 years already? But, alas, I now know.

For anyone wishing to resolve the issue with the rear end ‘hopping’ around when you hit potholes, manhole covers, road seems, uneven pavement, etc., the KYB shock replacement is the answer. And that includes all 2013 GT models, and apparently the 2011 – 2013 Sedan, Coupe new Veloster models too.

I ordered a pair from Auto Parts Warehouse, landed for $70 each and had them installed this week. Our installer even compared the OEM to the KYB, and noted that the KYB’s were firmer than the OEM shocks. That the argument of a smoother ride from the KYB was counter-intuitive in their experience. Of course, he also mentioned that, being a brand new car, this seemed like a huge waste of money. In that regard, he is correct.

The change in handling was immediately noticeable. I cannot say the sensation is 100% gone, but I would say its 100% better and 99.9% of the effects of the OEM shocks were eliminated by the KYB shocks! A little less body-roll, and a little smoother bump and ride-handling are side benefits with the KYB’s too.

For anyone wondering if this will fit, if this is a scam, if KYB just has an active marketing department, or of people are improvising; have no worries. The KYB’s work and likely are well-worth the $150, for most who found this issue as bothersome as we did.

And, thank you everyone for posting your comments to help me out! I love the car, and this single-issue was a real standout for us. Now, the car is perfect! (Of course, I’m still going to look for Mod’s )

2013 GT SE tech Pkg - Silver.
Tint, Window visors, bumper guard, rear KYB strut, K&N Air filter, weather tech liners, front & rear splash guards, Nokian WRG-2 All Weather Tires
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your post Waynex99, it seems the KYB shocks made the difference for a lot of Elantra owners (including myself). Hyundai still has a ways to go making the Elantra suspension comparable to other sporty cars in its class especially for the SE and GT, which are advertised as a "sport ride".

I have had the KYBs for a few months now and although the benefits are very noticeable, I still feel the cars instability over a hard bump so please keep us posted if you install other suspension mods....thanks again!!!

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynex99 View Post
Hi everyone. This is my very first post to the Elantra forum. We purchased our first Hyundai product in December 2012 an Elantra GT SE Tech.

I feel compelled to write this message on the topic of the Elantra rear suspension. I noticed this problem on my car, and it seemed weird. I had our tire guy look at it, and he could not explain it. The problem was not balance, alignment or tires; that much he knew.

I started reading various Elantra forums to see if anyone else had this issue. It turned out, many did. Descriptions of lateral-shift, quirky, hopping around, loosing grip, kicking-out, fishtailing, all describe the exact same issue.

· My concern was not that the car does indeed lose control, but it ‘feels’ like you will lose control, which causes the driver to compensate, and possibly over-compensate.
· Worse, on icy or wet roads, the lateral shift itself may in fact be a safety issue, on top of driver compensation.

However, compared to the Sedan owners experienced for a model 3-years deep, very little was written about the 2013 Elantra GT’s specific issue. So, I was really uncertain how good a solution the KYB shocks would really be. After-all, the newly designed GT came with improved suspension, and this problem was known to Hyundai for 3 years already? But, alas, I now know.

For anyone wishing to resolve the issue with the rear end ‘hopping’ around when you hit potholes, manhole covers, road seems, uneven pavement, etc., the KYB shock replacement is the answer. And that includes all 2013 GT models, and apparently the 2011 – 2013 Sedan, Coupe new Veloster models too.

I ordered a pair from Auto Parts Warehouse, landed for $70 each and had them installed this week. Our installer even compared the OEM to the KYB, and noted that the KYB’s were firmer than the OEM shocks. That the argument of a smoother ride from the KYB was counter-intuitive in their experience. Of course, he also mentioned that, being a brand new car, this seemed like a huge waste of money. In that regard, he is correct.

The change in handling was immediately noticeable. I cannot say the sensation is 100% gone, but I would say its 100% better and 99.9% of the effects of the OEM shocks were eliminated by the KYB shocks! A little less body-roll, and a little smoother bump and ride-handling are side benefits with the KYB’s too.

For anyone wondering if this will fit, if this is a scam, if KYB just has an active marketing department, or of people are improvising; have no worries. The KYB’s work and likely are well-worth the $150, for most who found this issue as bothersome as we did.

And, thank you everyone for posting your comments to help me out! I love the car, and this single-issue was a real standout for us. Now, the car is perfect! (Of course, I’m still going to look for Mod’s )
thanks for the awesome intro! that was a great read
didn't realize the shocks were that bad, but at least the KYB's worked out, feedback like this will go a long way in helping a lot of GT owners.

have you posted pic's of your GT as yet? (sorry if i missed it)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM

I have a Coupe too, I noticed the same problem but Im pretty sure that the suspension is tight, maybe the kyb shocks will do it but Im pointing more about the "height of the car". Im looking foward to buy some coilovers to do a drop and do the test myself
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Garage
It's good to know this will help the GT as well. I've been noticing it more lately as I've been getting used to the car so I've been driving it a little harder. Looks like I'll have to consider changing the shocks. The only thing that makes me not want to change them is it's a lease and I'm not going to be buying it when the lease is up so I'll have to put the factory ones back on before turning it back in. Luckily I dont have to worry about snow and ice, but we'll see what happens when the rain season starts here in a few weeks.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replica View Post
I have a Coupe too, I noticed the same problem but Im pretty sure that the suspension is tight, maybe the kyb shocks will do it but Im pointing more about the "height of the car". Im looking foward to buy some coilovers to do a drop and do the test myself
Coilovers will completely change the suspension out so you'll notice a huge difference. Add some sway bars and an upper strut bar and you'll have almost no body roll. Then throw in some under body reinforcing and you'll lose the body flex as well. Just remember with enough time, money and skill, you can do whatever you want with the car.

moral of the story, solid rear suspension on a car sucks. even after you do all of that, you'd still be better off with independant rear suspension.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

So I added a Whiteline 19mm sway bar to my SE and "wow" what an awesome improvement! It totally changed the handling dynamics of the car and now it feel like a real sports suspension with very little body roll around those curves. This mod was only about $120 and the install took about 20 mins. With the KBY's and the sway bar my SE feels like a real sports car!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix058 View Post
So I added a Whiteline 19mm sway bar to my SE and "wow" what an awesome improvement! It totally changed the handling dynamics of the car and now it feel like a real sports suspension with very little body roll around those curves. This mod was only about $120 and the install took about 20 mins. With the KBY's and the sway bar my SE feels like a real sports car!
Is it a front or rear sway bar? also, do you have a link to it at all?
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 02:24 PM

Garage
I think most of the issue is that the rear suspension is NOT independent. So what affects one wheel will affect the other during the suspension travel (aka bumps). I've noticed the same issue on our Coupe. My Stratus never did that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page