User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2005 Hatchback - Need Dash trim help

Hello all,

I am attempting to install a new stereo in my 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback. Everything on the car is factory defaults. The decision to change my stereos was sparked by poor reception on nearly all radio stations. Some friends of mine would fine 20+ stations when pressing scan in their cars. I would typically find 2 or less and those two would have poor reception. This could be due to poor antenna as well and that is the next on my list if new radio receiver doesn't fix the problem.

I have also been having some problems with the dash trim that goes over the odometers and center console controls. Some screws have popped out over the last couple thousand miles I have put on it and am missing the two screws that are under the cigarette ash tray. I have the two screws that are directly behind the steering wheel however, they are stripped. So they dont really hold anything down. The trim is also popping off on the top right portion and not clamping down flush with the rest of the dash. So I decided to investigate and try to solve the trim problem before installing the stereo. And even more problems seem to have arisen. On the back side of the trim there are the 3 fan mounts. All 3 of these are held on by only 1/4 attachment points. The plastic parts that either hold a screw or a attached to another piece were broken. One of the clasps also was broken off. There were many more things that were broken on the back side of this trim. And to top it off: the air control console below the stereo has its two bottom plastic securing strips broken off.

I was wondering if any of you had advice to solve these problems and get the trim 'ghetto rigged' so that it looks nice and tidy and flush with the rest of the dash. I figure I can super glue most of the broken plastic so that much of it is no longer held on by only 1 point. However the stripped screws and missing secure points on the air control unit are a bit more troubling. I feel like unless I fix all of it such that it is flush, whatever I do fix will eventually be broken again due to the extra stress on the parts.

Has any had this problem or any suggestions on courses of action?
The installation of the stereo isnt a problem.

Let me know if you want/need more information,
Thanks in advance,
MiniMuchken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problem was solved. Hefty amount of super glue and some blue screw locking glue to prevent screws from stripping and falling out more. Got new stereo installed and the trim is once again flush with the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page