Rear View Mirror Radar Detector Power - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear View Mirror Radar Detector Power

I am looking to mount a Rouge Rear View Mirror Radar Detector mount in my newly acquired 2013 Elantra Limited Sedan... i.e.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...R2011-101.html

In order to place the detector up there (cleanly) I will need to have power and a ground near the rear view mirror. I am hoping I could find those under the panel containing the 2 map lights / glasses holder as opposed to having to run wiring all the way up there (which I did years ago in my MINI)...

There has to be power up there obviously as the lights are there... and I'm thinking what with Hyundai's offering of that self dimming rear view mirror with garage door opening capability etc... perhaps power / ground wiring or connections may already be there for that ?

Anyone have experience pulling out that assembly ? ... suggestions... pitfalls... etc... or possibly an existing DIY ?

New to my Hyundai... and new to the forum... look forward both experiences...

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 AM

I heard some police cars have detectors that detect radar detectors, you might want to watch out for those when using this.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Garage
I cant find a wiring diagram, but I will assume because the homelink mirror is an after factory upgrade, the cars should all have the connector for it up in the headliner. you'll just have to figure out what wired are power and ground. you could also just find the power wire for it and then ground the new mirror to the body somewhere then just throw some plastidip over it to seal it up. It's not the best choice, but it will work. However the best way to do it is going to be running your own wire with an inline fuse, or running it though an unused slot in the fuse box. The problem I see with connecting it to the existing power for the mirror is it's always on. seems like it will be a battery drain unless you also add a switch to turn it on and off manually. Thats actually not a bad idea considering the comment elantra fan made. It is actually illegal to have them in some states so being able to make it seem like you dont could save you from a ticket. My suggestion would be to make one of your reading lights the switch. That light wont work for light anymore, but it will also give you an almost completely undetectable install. You could actually use that as your power source as well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Detectors here in Texas are legal so that part is not a problem... and I generally would prefer to have it wired into a switched fuse tap... but having done it previously in my MINI I know its a bit of work running that wire all the way up inside the A Pillar under the headliner to have it pop out right there at the mirror... and of course not messing the finish up on any of that... guess I'm just looking for the easiest way to get it done as I don't have any experience yet with the particulars of my new Elantra...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

In the end the real question is... has anyone removed the dual map light / sunglasses holder / sun roof switch assembly ? ... when you swivel the sunglasses holder down there are (2) philips screws visible which seem to be the starting point of removal... however without a manual... and the car being brand new I just worry about tearing into something I'm not sure of... but really would like to get my Detector up there on that mount...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM

Garage
According to the manual I found you just take the screws out then it should come out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Removed the (2) screws previously mentioned... and it sure didn't seem like it wanted to come out... i.e. fair amount of resistance... and I wasn't going to take a chance of breaking something and/or not being able to put it back... sigh...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 07:27 AM

Garage
I'll take a look at mine on my lunch break.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Am hopeful that I can get up into there as in thinking about it I could tie my Beltronics direct power cable into the sun roof power feed... which is off when the car is not running... so that along with the Rouge mount would be a very clean setup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page