Elantra Coupe Winter Tires? - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I bought the Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT 215/45/17 with steel wheels from GY. No TMPS. Once the snow arrives (or at least consistant frost) I'll have them installed and we'll see if my Coupe can be turned into a snowmobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:03 AM

I have the elantra gt se, my tires are currently 215/45-17.
I would like a set of steel rims and winter tires. Should I go for a smaller rim size like the 15" and get the 195/65's? Or something like that. I'm just looking for different and perhaps cheaper options vs quality and vehicle stability on the roads. I live in Edmonton Alberta, I expect snow, grit, ice and fear for the next 5 months.

Thanks, Karl
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 01:34 PM

hi Karl

I live in Kitchener, Ontario but have lived in Edmonton ... I feel your winter pain. The stock all season tire size that I have on my 2013 GT is 205/55/16 but my winter's are 195/65/15's. Consult this website to further compare tire dimensions, it helped me.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantramax View Post
The first set of numbers is Width. 2nd is Aspect Ratio (% of Width). 3rd is Rim Size.

195/55/15 is 1 cm narrower. And Slightly smaller Sidewall height.

The problem I see is, The TPMS. Unless your reusing the factory rims, You need the sensors and have the car programmed. Then do the same(Reprogram) when you change to "Summer" tires.

On a Side note, The Stock Tires 205/55/16 Suck in snow. The Hankooks on the Malibu (Factory) were better. 205/45/17 (If I remember correctly)
The 1st 3 digit number is the width of the tire in millimeters (the larger the number the wider the tire), the second 2 digit number is the sidewall height as a percentage of the width (1st number) (larger mean taller sidewall) and the last number is the rim/wheel diameter in inches. This is probably the only product that combines metric with standard with a inert (%) all in the same size spec.

A wider tire usually looks better and offers more traction in dry conditions. A narrower tire offers better traction in snow and rain because the vehicles weight is on a smaller contact patches and provides a shorter path for snow and water to be removed from under the tread. A shorter sidewall aids in better steering response and looks but its a trade off for ride comfort. Larger wheels enhance the look of the car and can also house larger brakes.

Snow traction is also aided in large part by tread compound. Snow tires stay softer in cold weather where a performance or all season tire may get firmer and not conforming to the road surface reducing traction.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:10 PM

I don't think Snow tires would have helped me last winter. Here in NJ we were getting 1 to 1 1/2 Ft each time. Took the Township 3 days to clear my street. They were using Front End loaders. I think the Total for the season was over 5 Feet.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 AM

Garage
Where I live (central NY) we average about 10' of snow per year. Snow tires are very handy here. We had a wicked storm (similar) to Buffalo in 2001 or 2003 and if it wasn't for my snowtires I wouldn't have gotten out of the parking lot at work let alone made it home 36 miles away (we ended up getting 10' of snow in 11 days in that storm).
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 AM

All I know is my car kept getting stuck in the high piles. Between the wheel wells. And just spun the front tires. Had to keep digging it out

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Garage
The WRTs proved themselves very capable this past winter on my Coupe. Great for higher speed driving (aka highway). My wife's GT has Goodyear UltraGrip Ice snow tires and she had no problem getting around in central NY weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page