Steering Wheel Wobble - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steering Wheel Wobble

Hi all. Anyone else with this problem? The Steering Wheel started Wobbling and making a clunking sound recently. Took it to the Dealer this morning. They said the Coupler is bad. Apparently there is a "Rubber Coupler" between the Steering Motor and shaft. I only have about 25,600 Miles. They were kind enough to give me the printout TSB from Hyundai instructing the Techs how to replace the part. Warranty only pays 1.7 Hours. They need to drop the entire Motor assembly out of the dash to disassemble and replace the part.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

The Dealer has the part. Waiting on my appointment this Saturday 2/21/15. I sure Hope this isn't going to be a Chronic problem

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Well its at the Dealer now. Not my problem anymore. I just Traded for a 2015 Tucson SE. AWD. now I don't have to deal with the Wobble and Heavy Clunking sound coming from the center of the dash area.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 PM

Steering clunk

I heard that clunk for the 1st time a few days ago. I have a 2011 sedan with 138k miles. I never have like the steering. I hit a few bumps and I heard the clunk. I have heard that same clunk with my daughters 2005 Chevy Cobalt. On that car, the electronic steering "motor" is connected to the steering shaft. There is a plastic type of gear (not sure exactly what to call it) that wears out and there is no way to replace it. I finally replaced the steering "motor" with a used one for cheap and clunking was reduced tremendously. I have not torn into my Elantra's steering yet. I bet it is the same thing. Maybe not. Maybe the Elantra's steering is made a little different.

Thanks for posting. I can't believe they have to drop the motor and such to replace the worn out "washer". That is just nuts. If I ever do tear into mine, I will post my findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page