Hyundai settles Canadian MPG lawsuit for $70 million - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down Hyundai settles Canadian MPG lawsuit for $70 million

Hyundai and Kia settled a Canadian lawsuit for $70 million. The lawsuit stems from exaggerated fuel economy estimates on 130,000 Hyundai vehicles and 41,000 Kia vehicles with model years ranging from 2011 to 2013. Fuel economy estimates were revised in November 2012 by as much as 4 mpg.

Owners can choose a one-time payment or to enroll in a reimbursement program. An example of a lump sum payment would be $361 for a 2012 Elantra. The reimbursement program compensates customers based on actual mileage driven, refunding the rating difference plus a 15 percent premium for the inconvenience.

"Hyundai should be commended for doing the right thing and resolving this issue with its customers," said lead plaintiff attorney Michael Peerless. "The fact that a class member is able to choose one of a variety of lump sum payments, or to remain in the reimbursement program, provides real benefits to this large class of customers."

A similar lawsuit is underway in the US at the moment. There, plaintiffs are seeking up to $775 million.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 PM

Garage
All this over a few mpg's. This world is entirely too lawsuit happy. I wonder how much the lawyers are making on this one. So each customer may get about $400 on the high side, I bet the lawyers are getting at a minimum 10% (most likely more like 25%) $70,000,000 x 0.1= $7,000,000. even if they take 5% it's still 3.5 million and they aren't even the people effected by this. These lawsuits are pointless and a huge waste of time. Imagine what good these peolpe could do if they put their minds to it, instead they decide to rip off a good company. When all is said and done and all lawsuits are finished Hyundai could be losing close to $1 billion. Think about how that could completely devistate a company. So yes, you may get your $400 out of them, but what happens when Hyundai decides to pull out of a market due to the losses or the high risk? Hope that $400 pays for any repairs that would have been covered under warranty.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM

I agree 100% it just doesn't make any sense. A few people get mega rich while the rest of us pay the price.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 PM

Since the Temps have Dropped to Below 20F here in NJ, My MPGs (According to instrument cluster) have Dropped to 23 MPG. I used to Average 36-38. Temperature has impact on MPGs.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantramax View Post
Since the Temps have Dropped to Below 20F here in NJ, My MPGs (According to instrument cluster) have Dropped to 23 MPG. I used to Average 36-38. Temperature has impact on MPGs.
There is also an additive in the fuel for winter that makes mpg's drop.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantramax View Post
thats sucks big time.
dropping more than 10MPG's can make a big difference.
are you changing your driving habits or bettering it to compensate ?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM

Since I am not working, I'm doing mostly Short Trips. The Temps have been in the single digits overnight. Highs in the Teens. Until today. Now its 40F.

Some of the problem is I have to let it warm up to clear the frost. The 15" Snow last week didn't help.

I try to use the Highway when I can.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM

like Bkohs said theres an additive to winter gas that lowers your efficiency, plus the extra idle time, not to mention the subtle snowy wheel slips. As long as the energy is not being transferred to the road its wasted.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM

Is it just me or, Are do these Hankook tires (16"GS) really suck in the snow? I had Hankook on my 08 Malibu (Factory) and they were pretty good.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I agree 100% it just doesn't make any sense. A few people get mega rich while the rest of us pay the price.
I'm surprised this is what the forum thinks generally. Companies need to be held to account or they will lie to the public more often and do other unethical things to customers. If people make decisions to buy a product based on certain info and then that info is wrong, I think those people have a right to compensation. It is not so much about the lawsuit, as much as it is having consequences so that proper measures are taken and these issues do not occur again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page