Is the upcoming Skoda Octavia a threat to the Hyundai Elantra? - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the upcoming Skoda Octavia a threat to the Hyundai Elantra?

It is already a very competitive segment, the executive sedan segment, so the arrival of the Skoda Octavia will only make things more difficult.

The Elantra comes with a 1.6-litre CRDi engine that makes 126 bhp of power and 259 Nm of ptorque, or a 1.9-litre petrol engine that produces 149 bhp of power and 177 Nm of torque.

The Skoda Octavia doesn't have confirmed engines yet, but all signs point to a 1.4-litre TSI, 1.8-litre TSI and 2.0-litre petrol engine that produce 138 bhp, 177 bhp and 220 bhp respectively.

I don't think the Skoda Octavia will be sold in NA, but it is a valid comparison nonetheless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 PM

I'm not sure where the Skoda Octavia is being sold, but I think that Hyundai has an advantage just based on brand reputation. I also think that the Elantra looks much better than the Octavia. The Octavia has a pretty uninspired design. All-in-al the Elantra does everything the Octavia does a little better. I'm not sure what the price difference is, but I could see the comparison if the Octavia was cheaper to make up for its short comings.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM

This is an easy one, the skoda has no market in the U.S. That alone hyundai already won. Now if you really want to break it down. the hyundai elantra has way better looks and more power I would guess. I bet even if hyundai was to step in to europe it would take away from skoda but that will all depend on price.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Where does Skoda sell their vehicles? I am not even sure which country the brand is from. I never see cars by them in NA.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Skoda is owned by the VW Group and is Czech car company. It sells its cars everywhere except North America, so that explains why we don't see them here in NA very often (ever.)

Given that, the Skoda Octavia may compete with the Elantra in markets outside of North American, but i still think that the Elantra has a big leg up on this Czech vehicle.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Would the Skoda be sold as a VW?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I don't think that any of the Skoda models have made it to NA, even with a different badge fitted to it. You can tell from the look of the Octavia that it would struggle in the NA market. And I think that is true whether it has a VW badge of a Skoda badge.

I mean is anyone here disappointed that they can't buy the Octavia in NA? Does anyone feel like they are missing out?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM

The Skoda is a much better car than the Elantra. Its basically an A3/Golf underneath. Top Gear has even ranked the Octavia better than the Golf.

Just because Skoda doesn't work in NA doesn't mean they make poor products. Theres much more to the auto industry than North America and branding...

I bet the Octavia is a better car than Mercedes CLA, brands are worthless what do the mechanicals do.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I do agree that a car isn't good or bad just because of where it is sold and what the brand is, but there is a part of what makes the car good that is intangible. I just think that many people view companies that are not operating in north America as not being globally competitive. Also, a lot of people buy cars based more on the design and the brand image than the actual function of the vehicle. Just look at the CLA. maybe the Octavia is a better vehicle, but it doesn't have a Mercedes-Benz badge and it therefore looks like a worse car in a lot of people's eyes even before they compare anything to do with how it drives.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I do agree that a car isn't good or bad just because of where it is sold and what the brand is, but there is a part of what makes the car good that is intangible. I just think that many people view companies that are not operating in north America as not being globally competitive. Also, a lot of people buy cars based more on the design and the brand image than the actual function of the vehicle. Just look at the CLA. maybe the Octavia is a better vehicle, but it doesn't have a Mercedes-Benz badge and it therefore looks like a worse car in a lot of people's eyes even before they compare anything to do with how it drives.
who are these people who view companies not operating in North America as noncompetitive? Let me guess Americans? Companies only operate in North America because Americans have the most debt to throw around... Is Renault, Peugeot or Lancia poor brands? Peugeot has a LeMans victory....

I'm going off your posts, I was asked if the Octavia is a better car than the Elantra and I said yes. If you asked me who had better brand rec in NA or what the psychology of American consumers was this would be a different discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page