Hyundai willing to settle MPG cases, offering lump sum payout to buyers - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
TDR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hyundai willing to settle MPG cases, offering lump sum payout to buyers

There has been a lot of fallout from the overstated fuel economy figures that both Hyundai and Kia have admitted to. The two companies are handing out lots of cash to affected customers in the form of debit cards, and the EPA might change the way it works with automakers on fuel economy labels. Some Hyundai/Kia buyers, though, wanted more than an apology and a reimbursement, and thus they filed a number of class-action lawsuits. Thirty-eight, in fact, which were all combined into one big case at the US District Court in Los Angeles. Hyundai is now reportedly saying it is willing to settle, and Kia is deciding whether to participate or not. Both automakers declined to comment.

The details from the filing are all undisclosed, sadly, so we don't know how much Hyundai will be paying (one of the original suits said buyers were due a total of $775 million), but Automotive News says buyers can continue to get reimbursed through the debit cards or take a lump sum payment through the class-action suit. No double-dipping, folks. Earlier reports said the class-action suits were seeking to let buyers back out of leases and loans, but there is no mention of this in this week's news.

Between Kia and Hyundai, around 900,000 vehicles were sold in the US with incorrect MPG numbers on the window sticker. Before the overstated mpg numbers were revealed in late 2012, Hyundai was already the target of a class-action suit over the mpg numbers in the Elantra.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/27...%28Autoblog%29

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM

Is this old news?? I have heard of this already, and checked the hyundai website, entered my VIN and said I wasn't included in the handout. I still am not seeing the numbers of the worse estimated EPA... generally I see 8.5L/100km and thats mixed HWY and City... City is supposed to be 7.6L/100km. So I think I am still entitled
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnatedogg View Post
Is this old news?? I have heard of this already, and checked the hyundai website, entered my VIN and said I wasn't included in the handout. I still am not seeing the numbers of the worse estimated EPA... generally I see 8.5L/100km and thats mixed HWY and City... City is supposed to be 7.6L/100km. So I think I am still entitled

First off, hi folks!

Just took delivery of a 2013 GL sedan this week. So far so good.

I will be interested in how close i can come to that low EPA.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM

I think EPA should be a national standard that its measured by a private firm. I don't think we should allow manufacturers the ability to make their own claims. Just like crash tests.. It should be a private company funded by maybe the government to offer reliable and authentic mileage information based on real world tests and not perfect condition estimates provided by the manufacturer.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
I think EPA should be a national standard that its measured by a private firm. I don't think we should allow manufacturers the ability to make their own claims. Just like crash tests.. It should be a private company funded by maybe the government to offer reliable and authentic mileage information based on real world tests and not perfect condition estimates provided by the manufacturer.
That makes complete sense... but these days, things that make sense don't get implemented! I'm tempted to hand my keys over and say "if you get at LEAST the city mileage, than I'll keep my mouth shut" But I highly doubt they will cause I tried everything, granny shifting, using the ECO, driving normal (normal for me)... i dunno what else to do to get these magical numbers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Not sure what anyone else has experienced. But i was surprised when this story came out. Maybe it's the way I drive, but I have always gotten the higher MPG that Hyundai claimed. City driving (which is 95% of my driving), The mpg counter on the dash is normally between 29-31, and highway between 39-41. I also watched how much gas I was putting in (i always go till light comes on) and compared to the odometer, numbers are the same. In fact, if I fill up here in Lawrenceville, GA, I can drive all the way to my parents in Homer Glen, IL on only two tanks, filling up halfway in Kentucky. Trip computer is just short of 400 miles when I fill up.

So imagin my surprise when I put my VIN in their site and it came up as one of the cars that could recieve the debit.

Just courious, anyone else getting similar mpg numbers to me?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx9100 View Post
Not sure what anyone else has experienced. But i was surprised when this story came out. Maybe it's the way I drive, but I have always gotten the higher MPG that Hyundai claimed. City driving (which is 95% of my driving), The mpg counter on the dash is normally between 29-31, and highway between 39-41. I also watched how much gas I was putting in (i always go till light comes on) and compared to the odometer, numbers are the same. In fact, if I fill up here in Lawrenceville, GA, I can drive all the way to my parents in Homer Glen, IL on only two tanks, filling up halfway in Kentucky. Trip computer is just short of 400 miles when I fill up.

So imagin my surprise when I put my VIN in their site and it came up as one of the cars that could recieve the debit.

Just courious, anyone else getting similar mpg numbers to me?

it probably is the way you drive, in most cases when people are getting a higher MPG rating than the car was rated for it's due to how good their driving habits are. What is your driving style like? I'd like to know Any pointers on what you do to maximize your MPG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page