Hyundai Elantra's alleged unintended acceleration sends teen, police on a 113-mile - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
TDR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hyundai Elantra's alleged unintended acceleration sends teen, police on a 113-mile

Back in December, one North Texas teenager received a quick lesson in car control at the hands of his 2011 Hyundai Elantra. Elez Lushaj called police, after he says his car accelerated to nearly 120 mph on Highway 183 unintentionally. Dispatchers urged the 16-year-old driver to try everything from turning the car off to standing on the brakes and putting the car in neutral, but Lushaj told them nothing was working. Flummoxed, police simply did their best to warn traffic away from the speeding compact with the hope that the car would eventually run out of fuel.

Before that could happen, Lushaj lost control on Interstate 30 after some 90 minutes as he attempted to avoid a semi truck. The Elantra rolled four times, leaving the driver conscious but with several broken bones. Police commended Lushaj for keeping the car on the road and away from population centers for as long as he did.

Hyundai, meanwhile, said that it hasn't heard anything on the case. Spokesperson Jim Trainor reported to WFAA that it was "extremely unlikely for simultaneous and spontaneous total system failures for the brakes, accelerator and transmission to occur at the same time" and notes that Hyundai would like to investigate, but this is the first they've heard of Lushaj's wild ride. You can watch a local news report on the incident below for more information.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/22/h...sends-teen-po/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR View Post
it was "extremely unlikely for simultaneous and spontaneous total system failures for the brakes, accelerator and transmission to occur at the same time"
While I don't necessarily think that this would be impossible.......I think the total system failure was with the kid behind the wheel.

Either because he was too stupid to turn the ignition OFF, throw it into neutral or stomp on the brakes REALLY hard OR he staged the whole thing.

Things like this do worry me though as we seem to be rushing toward the point where EVERY function of the car is computer controlled.....ignition, brakes, transmission, shifter, steering.....EVERYYHING.....and a failure of that one central computer board could have fatal consequenses, we aren't quite there yet.

I hope someone in the industry realizes that centralized control of everything like that is not a good idea.

I do have this little twinge in my gut every time I get on an airplane though, as I think they are there already.

P.S. Just did a quick Google and Bing search and found NOTHING additional about this incident.
It's been about 2 months now. One would think there would be something by not.
The blog comments where that was originally posted are almost 100% negative too.

Just because you see it on the Internet.....or even sometimes the evening news......doesn't necessarily make it true.

Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Floor Mat???

I thought the Elantra had a Governor on the speed???

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page