2013 Hyundai Elantra GT: city automobile with highway ambitions - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
G.W

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT: city automobile with highway ambitions

The beginning cost of the Elantra GT is $19,149 & can go up to $26,349, excluding freight & taxes.

This year, Hyundai relaunched its Elantra GT -- the replacement for the slightly larger Elantra Touring. Winning the award for Best New Small Automobile over $21,000 from AJAC, the Elantra GT is designed using Hyundai's Fluidic Design style, giving it the appearance of motion, even while sitting still.

Safety-wise, the Elantra GT comes equipped with seven airbags, ABS, & traction control, to name a few safety features.

I was one time given the range-topping SE TECH Auto model to evaluate. Powered by a 148HP, one.8L 4-cylinder engine paired up with a 6-speed automatic, the Elantra GT is a city automobile with highway ambitions.

Hyundai says the Elantra GT can do 7.6L/100km in the city, five.3L/100km on the highway & 6.6L/100km combined. I'm sure it can accomplish those numbers, but with snow tires equipped on my tester - I was one time able to get 8.2L/100km in the city.

On a 480-km highway trip from Kingston, I was one time able to get 8L/100km.

In the coursework of my regular commute ' a 382 kilometer combined trip ' I was one time able to only get 9.1L/100km. That was with both the cabin heater & chair heater switched on - & maintaining with stop-and-go Highway 401 traffic.

Over the years, Hyundai has improved its vehicle quality inside & out. & the Elantra GT is no exception.

Fundamentally, it came with everything you'd find in an pricey competing model, but configured more affordably in the Hyundai.

The demo vehicle came equipped with leather seats, Bluetooth connectivity, dual zone temperature control, auto-dimming mirror, panoramic sunroof, reverse camera, Sirius XM Radio, & a touch screen navigation system to name a few features.

The car's cabin was well-appointed. The heated front seats were comfortable, & even in the coursework of my long highway check drive I wasn't exhausted from the drive ' as some compact cars can make you.

With the exception to the logo on the steering wheel, it was hard to find anything that jogged my memory that I was one time in a Hyundai.

The controls were within simple reach of the driver or the passenger ' though I did find that the audio controls on the dash were a tiny bit of a stretch when driving. Thankfully, this specific model was configured with audio controls on the steering wheel, so I didn't must deal with the dash-mounted buttons.

& speaking of audio system, the stereo in this automobile is excellent & the touch screen is amazing.

The buttons are not only in simple reach, but are also large that you don't require to make use of your pinky finger to pick your location or your radio station.

I've used touch screen systems in cars before, & most of the time the buttons on the screen are small to do anything. But not this.

The navigation process is a simple to make use of and up-to-date. From programming your location to adjusting the volume of the navigation voice, you did not require to have a computer science degree to understand how to get things done.

And the seven-inch touch screen doubles as your screen for the hidden reverse camera that is only obtainable on this trim level. The camera is great in the coursework of all types of light.

As an added touch, the camera is actually hidden behind the Hyundai logo on the hatch ' so it will never get covered in road grime in the winter ' unlike the exposed cameras competitors.

In the dark, I was one time able to see what was behind me clearly, and the camera wasn't blinded by the sun in the coursework of the day.

However, the motor that turns the logo around is loud and distracting whenever it's called on to reveal or hide the camera. It's something you get used to quickly and finally it becomes background noise.

The Elantra GT SE Tech Auto's panoramic sunroof was of the first things that passengers noticed when they got in to the automobile.

And in the event you didn't require the sun to be beating down on your passengers -- or yourself for that matter -- you hit a button by the mirror and activated the sunshade. It closed off the whole sunroof, making the ceiling it look like any normal compact hatchback.

Figuring out the controls for the sunroof was a tiny bit of a trick. There were buttons that controlled the shade by itself, and also the sunroof button that controlled both the sunroof and the shade. So sometimes, when I meant to open up the sunroof, I'd finish up closing the sunshade. This method did reveal, however, that the shade could be stopped halfway, so that you could still have the sun shining in the midst of the automobile, but not beating down on the driver's head.

The seating capacity is rated for passengers, but it could only hold comfortably. You could do, but only for a short distance.

The rear seats aren't as comfortable as the front, and sitting in the back, the headroom isn't as high as it is in the front, so you might not be comfortable in the event you are over six feet. That being said, when I did have other adults in the automobile, the tiny engine didn't even feel like it was struggling.

Packing this automobile is like any other hatchback. You can load in several hockey bags in the back, with the seats up, and still have room for a potted plant. The rear seats fold flat like in any other automobile, and you're able to go to the build-your-own furniture store without having to rent a van to pick up the larger items.

Except its not. The Elantra GT has a small secret. Where all other compact cars you can fold only the backs of the seats down, the Elantra GT's rear chair bottom may even be moved to be flush against the backs of the front chair, & with the simple removal of the rear-seat headrests, you soon finish up with a flat cargo area ' an truck-like capacity. Not even the Elantra Touring ' the station wagon Elantra - had that ability

Pretty standard.

Normally I drove the automobile in Normal Mode, but on my trip out to Kingston & back, I set the automobile to Sport Mode, which ' though ' didn't fine-tune anything in the suspension, made it simpler to drive the automobile on the highway, allowing it to be more planted & offered less resistance to the ruts on the 401. But you ought to keep in mind to turn it back to Normal Mode the moment you get back onto the highway, because the moment you turn the wheel, at a green light, you will find yourself having to turn a small harder than you normally would, giving you the impression of driving a automobile without power steering.

Through the city, the highway or the suburbs, the Elantra GT handles well. The steering is speedy to answer your inputs & the automobile goes where you need it to go.

of the features that no other automobile that I've driven has is what Hyundai calls 'Flex Steering.' This feature lets you fine-tune the resistance of the steering wheel, by basically pushing a button on the steering wheel. So in case you wanted it to be speedy, you could set it to Comfort Mode, in case you wanted it to be a small tougher, you'd set it to Sport Mode, & in case you desired to be like a traditional automobile, you'd set it to Normal Mode.

Hyundai has completed a great job on this automobile. The standard features they have included put it in to the top of its market, but the cost keeps it in the middle.

The acceleration, though not as peppy as I liked, was nice for the automobile. It responded when I needed the speed, & kept it going as I passed slower-moving vehicles. & the de-acceleration is excellent . As long as you kept a nice, safe distance between you & the automobile ahead of you, you can keep that distance by basically releasing off the gas, & letting the engine slow the automobile down ' so though you're not driving a standard, you are. & even with the automobile equipped with its winter tires, the road noise was practically non-existent, which is surprising for a compact automobile ' it was luxury car-quiet.

The Elantra GT is designed & intended for those who need the top-of-the-line competitor, but can't afford the top-of-the-line cost.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Type: Compact Hatchback Price Range: $19,149 - $26,349 Engine: 1.8-litre, 4 cylinder engine Horsepower: 148 hp Transmission: 6 Speed Manual/6 Speed Automatic Drive: Front-wheel drive Competitors: Mazda Mazda3 Sport, Volkswagen Golf, Audi A3, Ford Focus Hatchback, Toyota Matrix, Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, Kia Forte5, Subaru Impreza Hatchback, Suzuki SX4

http://ddisorder.blogspot.ca/2013/02...utomobile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page