User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down Will not start

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have a dilema and need some assistance. Hopefully someone has an answer.

I have a 2004 Elantra. (XD). 2.0 engine. CVVT.

Timing belt broke driving about 10mph. purchased all new parts and sent the head to the machine shop due to bent valves. Put everything back together and now the car will not start. Spins over fine but will not start. I have plenty of fuel. All the timing is correct. The 2 cams in the head and the timing belt to crankshaft. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the OCV. It has spark but the interesting thing I found this past weekend is the car will only spark 2 to 3 times then stops sparking no matter how long I keep spinning. I wait about a minute and try to crank again, I get the 2 to 3 sparks, the car acts like it is going to start but then the spark quits. I checked the ignition coil pack and it ohms out good.

Another thing is I only have about 50 to 55psi on each cylinder. I can only find compression specifications for a warm engine. My experiance tells me this is too low, but I have never done a DOHC engine with CVVT before. This is driving me crazy. Also, I had the car scanned and there are no codes registered.

Does anyone have an answer or at least lead me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjelly View Post
Another thing is I only have about 50 to 55psi on each cylinder.
That might indicate that your valve timing isn't where it should be.....and with the CVVT, a computer might be shutting off the spark on purpose when it detects the timing problem......might.

I fear that you need the services of a real mechanic or shop that knows that particular car/engine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Is there any chance you got the timing out by 180 degrees? Remember the crank spins twice for every once on the cams.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohibarandy View Post
Remember the crank spins twice for every once on the cams.
Does an engine with CVVT (electrically operated valves) even HAVE a conventional cam ??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

To all that tried to help, I just want to say, Thank You.

I got the car to crank. Here is what I found. Hopefully this can be useful to someone else in my predicament.

I found a small insignificant black dot on the housing of the bearing cap when I rotated the camshaft lobes to where I thought they should be at TDC on the compression stroke. You could only see the dot through the little hole in the cam gear when it was lined up correctly while looking parallel from the fender. Put the timing belt on and spun the engine by hand about 4 or 5 times. Nothing made contact. Cranked the engine over and it cranked right up. the dot was about 20 to 30 degrees clockwise from what all the manuals and HMA Service tells you to do.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 PM

AS a future problem I have been seeing also is that for some reason the relays go bad. you can replace the fuel relay with the horn one to short term resolve this issue. IF anyone can tell me why this is so. Please do. That is that the relays just stop working for the fuel pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page