New cylinder head or used engine? - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New cylinder head or used engine?

My son had the timing belt break on my 2002 Elantra, and needless to say, the valves are damaged.
Should I try to find a used engine, or put on a rebuild cylinder head? There's a significant difference in the cost.
How easy is it to replace the cylinder head? Do you have to pull the engine? Since I'm currently not working, I'd just as soon do the work myself, if I can.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM

doing the work yourself will save you a ton, not sure where you can find info on how to do it. but a great place to start is getting a work shop manual.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM

If you are asking you probably shouldn't replace your own engine head. If it's cheaper to replace the head contact a mechanic and see how much it'll be for labor.

Are the pistons damaged?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

If I'd had access to the car at the time that I made the post, I would have replaced the head myself, but it was 130 miles away, at the dealership where my son had it towed. I finally towed it up to a mechanic where I live, and had the work done there at my wife's insistence. It had all 4 intake valves damaged, but no piston damage.

The cylinders did not have any significant wear, according to the mechanic, so only the valve job was done. Once it was put back together, it only has 130 pounds of compression. It runs, but not great. Since it's a 2002, I'm not sure that I want to put a whole lot more into it at this time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebradley View Post
If I'd had access to the car at the time that I made the post, I would have replaced the head myself, but it was 130 miles away, at the dealership where my son had it towed. I finally towed it up to a mechanic where I live, and had the work done there at my wife's insistence. It had all 4 intake valves damaged, but no piston damage.

The cylinders did not have any significant wear, according to the mechanic, so only the valve job was done. Once it was put back together, it only has 130 pounds of compression. It runs, but not great. Since it's a 2002, I'm not sure that I want to put a whole lot more into it at this time.
Depending on how much you spent on it so far and how much more it needs to be perfect, it may or may not be worth it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

To add some additional history to my previous post.

The car ran poorly after getting it back from the mechanic, and it continued to have a p0340 error code, despite the cam and crank sensors having been replaced. He rechecked the compressions, and they were worse. It had only been driven approximately 30 miles. He found a used engine with approximately 80k on it, took the new parts off of the old engine that he'd worked on, and replaced the engine. He refunded his labor charges from the first repair and told me that he should have swapped out the engine in the first place. When he had it jacked up to connect the exhaust, he noticed one of the axle boots was bad, and replaced it. Total cost was approximately $1600. I am sooooo lucky that I chose to tow it home from the dealership where my son had had it towed, because the dealership wanted $1800 just for a used engine. They said that the labor would be an additional $1200.

Last edited by jebradley; 01-21-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: misspelling
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM

WOw, that's one good mechanic. Some mechanics would make you pay even if it didn't solve the problem. Can't beat getting all of that done for half of what the dealership would've charged you.

Hopefully this will be the last of the issues with you car. keep us updated
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:33 PM

give that mechanic and his garage some props. post them up. So if it happens a again and a fellow member is either near that garage or goes their they could see that the tech knows what he is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page