User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hyundai Rev-Matching Manual Transmission Rumored

Quote:
Fast and fun to drive, the number one complaint with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is its vague manual transmission. Looking to solve that, Hyundai is rumored to be testing a new unit that incorporates rev-matching technology.

A well-connected source has confirmed that Hyundai is investigating a rev-matching system, similar to the SyncroRev Match found in the Nissan 370Z. This technology allows for smooth downshifts by automatically blipping the car’s throttle, matching the engine speed with the speed of the wheels.

Essentially a replacement for heel-toe downshifting the car does all the work, ensuring a smooth downshift every time.

A quick call to Hyundai did not confirm or deny the rumor.

“We are always looking at new technologies at Hyundai,” Derek Joyce, from Hyundai Product communications said. “Automatic rev-matching is an interesting idea, but we can’t say anything about it right now.”

Hyundai isn’t the only company investigating rev-matching technology for its manual gearbox. Porsche has stated that it will add the rev-matching technology to the upcoming 2013 Carrera 4 and 4S models.
How much better would Hyundai transmissions be with automatic rev-matching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM

About time they decided to do this. The Genesis coupe was perfect aside from it's weird manual transmission. that alone probably killed sales by a significant number.

Even the well known, Matt Farah, brought up this issue in his Genesis Coupe test drive video:

well worth the watch!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Love that feeling when rowing your own gears and you get it JUST right. C'mon rev-matching technology! I watched a review of a Porsche Boxster and they have added a technology that restarts the engine after stalling out (once you push in the clutch). Oh, how I wish I'd had that when I was learning to drive!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownr0yal View Post
Love that feeling when rowing your own gears and you get it JUST right. C'mon rev-matching technology! I watched a review of a Porsche Boxster and they have added a technology that restarts the engine after stalling out (once you push in the clutch). Oh, how I wish I'd had that when I was learning to drive!
Yup, that feeling is just amazing, just knowing your able to not just drive a manual but do it flawlessly! Took me a while but now I mastered driving manual

A lot of newer cars have that same technology where if you stall, stepping on the clutch restarts the engine, even the 2012 Civic has it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page