User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New owner 2013 gls elantra

I have 6k miles and now have brake noise( a grinding noise) I suspect
glazing of the brake pads. Could be 1) brake pads or 2) caliper not releasing fully and I understand this is a common problem. Maybe defective caliper or lousy quaility brake pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 AM

Garage
Is it all the time, only when you brake, only in the mornings or when it has rained? Is the pedal pulsing when you hit it?

-If it's all the time even while driving and you're sure its the brakes, you either have a locked up caliper or something stuck between the rotor and pad. if the caliper is locked up replace it, the rotor (I recomend both sice you'll be changing the pads) and the pads. If something is stuck, depending on the damage you may not need to replace anything or you could have to replace rotors and pads.

-If it's not all the time, your caliper is fine and it's the pads or rotors. I recomend replacing both at the same time anyways.

-If the pedal is pulsing you have warped rotors and should repace them and the pads.

Hopefully that helps you.

Also, you dont have to go with the most expensive parts out there, but keep in mind the brake system is what keeps you from going into the back of the vehicle ahead of you, you shouldn't go cheap on it.

Last edited by BKohs; 11-29-2013 at 10:31 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 AM

Garage
With all that said, Brakes should not fail or have issues with only 6k on the car. I would take it to the dealer and see if they will fix teh problem under waranty.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM

Welcome to the forum..Honestly the best thing to do is bring it back to the dealer

If its grinding it could be either a defective pad, a defective caliper, or maybe the clips on the pad at sticking too far out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM

welcome aboard!

The ABS sometimes makes a grinding noise if you are breaking over rough pavement. It's pretty sensitive to imperfections in the road.

Or it could be surface rust that accumulates... does it ever go away, or still present even after driving and braking several times?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Do you think theres a way to adjust how sensitive the ABS system can be or did they design it in such a way it's set to function one way and not to be tinkered with?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM

I hate that

ABS needs to learn how to properly detect loss of traction

I hate it when ABS kicks in for no reason. I actually find it makes things more dangerous.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraFan View Post
Do you think theres a way to adjust how sensitive the ABS system can be or did they design it in such a way it's set to function one way and not to be tinkered with?
unless you know how to write your own code and crack into your ECU, no there is no way to adjust ABS.

Imagine the lawsuits they open themselves up to if people were allowed to fiddle with major systems in their vehicles.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
unless you know how to write your own code and crack into your ECU, no there is no way to adjust ABS.

Imagine the lawsuits they open themselves up to if people were allowed to fiddle with major systems in their vehicles.
Yeah thats true, if that was the case people would tinker with it, stage an accident, claim it was due to a faulty ABS, black the car maker and file a lawsuit.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page