User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New from Hollywood FL

Hello everyone. I am leasing my new baby, a 2013 GT M/T so far I love it. I had to get this because I needed something reliable and safe to put my new actual baby in when he is born next month. I'm coming from a long line of cars that I modded and worked over, but this one will have to stay mostly stock thanks to it being leased. Nothing that cant be easily put back to stock. There will be lots of plastidip and maybe some vinyl, but other than that nothing much will happen. This is going to be very hard for me, but we'll see how long I can keep that mindset. I'll post some pics up shortly.
And in case anyone wants to know some of my past vehicles, here are a few of them and I'll try to find some pics of them as well.
2008 VW Rabit - stanced at about 2" off the ground.
2000 Mustang GT - 4.7 Procharged, dropped, 11.5" wide tires in the back, custom built exhaust from headers back (including the headers) with H pipe.
2001 Tacoma - Mini trucked out. dropped on custom built suspension
2003 Mazda Protege 5 - full mazdaspeed turbo conversion and dropped on Tein coilovers with full track ready suspension set up.
1999 Durango R/T - supercharged and lowered slightly. This was a project for my father and I. He paid for everything and I did all the work. It was a track car that was still street legal. We had it running mid 12's on street tires before we wrecked it coming home form the track one night. wet pavement and at freshly bald tires are not a good mix. We even had the new tires sitting in the garage at home.
There are a few others but nothing really worth mentioning. So like I said we will see if I'm able to hold out on modding this car even if it is a lease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's some pics.

And I already started with the PlastiDip. Only had it for a week.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM

welcome aboard! glad to see you still row it yourself very few of us left out there...

You still have any of your old rigs kicking around? I say that Mustang sounds MEAN....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Those blacked out badges look amazing, amazing enough that they should have come like that from the factory. I think at this stage car makers should be offering an option for black badges.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
welcome aboard! glad to see you still row it yourself very few of us left out there...

You still have any of your old rigs kicking around? I say that Mustang sounds MEAN....
Thanks for the welcome. I've been driving standard since I was 14 and just got my first auto a 10 months ago... it's not here anymore. I dont know if I'll ever own another auto again. Unfortunately everything has been sold. I loved that mustang and didn't realy know what I had when I had it (as far as how rare it was). It was a white GT with factory black leather interior. The guy that had it before me special ordered it from the factory. He kept it stock for the 11 years he had it. I only paid $4500 for it with only 67k on the clock in 2010 it was kept in his garage whenever he wasn't driving it. I now wish I wouldn't have sold it, but I got an offer that I couldn't refuse at the time. Now after searching for the past year for another white on black I haven't been able to find one. The durango was actually faster though. Supercharged 5.9 and all wheel drive. The best I did with the Mustang was a mid 13 in the quarter. With drag slicks and a little more tuning it could have been much quicker, but I didn't have it long enough to go that far with it. Oddly enough I never actually put it on a dino. Come to think of it, the only vehicle ever on a dino was the Durango because it had a completely custom setup and tune. it was putting down about 470whp and about 450ft/lbs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyundaipwr View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Those blacked out badges look amazing, amazing enough that they should have come like that from the factory. I think at this stage car makers should be offering an option for black badges.
I agree. I work at a VW dealership and I've talked to the sales manager about doing it on a few of the cars they have in the show room just to make them stand out a bit. He said he would have to think about it which means he didn't like the idea.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh I almost forgot. My wife has a black 2010 Elantra GLS. You can see a little bit of it in the last pic I posted.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I figure sicne I have this thread, I wont take up more space for another one to update on whatever I decide to do to the GT. With that said I got a lot done this weekend.

I started with getting rid of the Dealer's badge. Turns out I didn't need a heat gun or even Goo Gone to get evereything off.

Next I removed the wheels and wanted to see what it would take to remove the inserts. turns out its just 2 very little screws. If you happen to remove yours, make sure you use very little torque when you put them back on. they are very small screws going into very soft plastic.

Next I started on the wheels. I decided it would be easier to Plasti Dip them whis the inserts on, but now I know when I do the 2 tone I'll be able to remove them rather than tape them off. Since I'm on the 2 tone subject, I know my colors, but I'm not sure where to put them. I'm going with black and gunmetal pearl. I'm gonna do some photoshop work then I'll post it up here to see what you all think.

Wheels blacked out, but there is too much chrome up front....

While I was doing the last 2 wheels I decided to tape off and spray the front grille in between coats. I'm gonna have to respray the grille though. while I was removing some of the overspray, part of the grille started to come up. It's a very small part that you have to be looking for to see, but it will cause more to come up over time. If I have time next weekend I'll be doing the trim under the side windows. So far I've only used 3 cans of Plasti Dip which is good considering I've done at least 4 coats on everything. I'll have to order the gunmetal pearl, but that will be in a few weeks. in the next few months I'll get the windows tinted and then look into the cost of getting the rear lights wrapped in smoked vinyl. I know it's fairly cheap for the vinyl itself so I may try to do it on my own, but there are some crazy contours on these lights so I may just hand it over to a professional. I would usually use some VHT Night Shades, but since this is a lease, and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting something else when it's over, I would get charged for new tail lights when I turn it in.

Since I brought it up, I'm going to start a new thread about some info I got from the dealership that makes me believe I'll be handing mine in when I finish the lease. I'll link to the thread after I get it posted.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Looking CLEAN Bkohs... If I could weigh in on the two tone debate, I'd say make the inserts pearl and leave the rims black. My thinking being if you go full rim pearl with black inserts the pearl wheels will get lost in the slab of body color. at least black they pop like the rest of the accents on the car, while the gunmetal is similar to body color and perfect as an insert.

but im just a fisherman who don't know nothing Keep em coming...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
Looking CLEAN Bkohs... If I could weigh in on the two tone debate, I'd say make the inserts pearl and leave the rims black. My thinking being if you go full rim pearl with black inserts the pearl wheels will get lost in the slab of body color. at least black they pop like the rest of the accents on the car, while the gunmetal is similar to body color and perfect as an insert.

but im just a fisherman who don't know nothing Keep em coming...
That's actually my thought as well. I'll post up the photoshoped pics when I get a chance to do them though. it should give a good idea of what it would look like. Also, I forgot to mention I would be doing a gloss finish over the entire wheel once it was all done. The pearl coat is already gloss so I think it would look odd with matte black and gloss gunmetal.

Here the link to the info I got yesterday. https://www.elantraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2938

Last edited by BKohs; 11-19-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page