did I blow more than my radiator? - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did I blow more than my radiator?

I'm new to this forum but I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.
I have a 2003 elantra and last week I split the top of my radiator when I was driving, i heard a pop and i didn't know what it was so i pulled over. I noticed my car leaking stuff underneath so I opened my hood to see what happened and that's when I found out I split my radiator. I got a new radiator and had a friend (who works on mining equipment) put it in for me. He got it in no problem but as soon as he was replacing my spark plugs he noticed coolant in where my spark plugs go, he stopped working on it and we are taking it to a mechanic but I'm just trying to get some ideas of what could have happened. Could the coolant just have dripped down to my spark plugs because there was coolant every where, and if the spark plugs were loose could it have gotten in that way? Or did I blow something else when I blew my radiator?
-NevadaGirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGirl View Post
Could the coolant just have dripped down to my spark plugs because there was coolant every where,
Yes. Could be.

Why were the spark plugs removed in the first place.
That would typically NOT be required to replace the radiator.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm not exactly sure why the spark plugs got removed. My car had got really hot and it was 101 degrees outside so maybe that is why he changed them, well attempted to change them I'm not sure if he continued to change them or not. We haven't drove my car since getting the radiator in because he found the coolant in where the spark plugs go. He said it started but he didn't want to drive it if something else was wrong. If something major was wrong with my car would it have started?
I'm hoping that the coolant just dripped down since as I said when I opened my hood coolant was dripping every where. It was dripping from the hood too. I got told by my friend that the chances of the coolant dripping down and getting in that was is like 1 in a million, is that true? He's never had an elantra before so could it just be possible that really the coolant just dripped down?

Last edited by NevadaGirl; 08-04-2013 at 06:51 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I got told by my friend that the chances of the coolant dripping down and getting in that was is like 1 in a million, is that true?
I think you already know the right answer to that.

Given the circumstances, I think the chances are great that it IS just splash over.

There could be other problems present that wouldn't show up until it has run for a while. Just letting it idle until it heats up and then checking the oil and water should tell the story there.

Maybe more importantly......why did the radiator fail in the first place ?
Was the engine in "overheat" at the moment......or was there just a defect in the radiator ??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

My car got to hot but when I noticed it I pulled over and that's when I noticed my car leaking so I lifted the hood and that's when I saw the radiator was split on top. From everything being told to me it's believed my car got overheated(I know it did) and I was driving from Oregon to Nevada so changing the heat and everything. Nevada has a dry heat that my car wasn't used to and I don't know if it makes much of a difference but my radiator is/was plastic, most people here have metal ones due to the fact the plastic ones split and crack here easier.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
My car got to hot but when I noticed it I pulled over and that's when I noticed my car leaking so I lifted the hood and that's when I saw the radiator was split on top. From everything being told to me it's believed my car got overheated(I know it did) and I was driving from Oregon to Nevada so changing the heat and everything. Nevada has a dry heat that my car wasn't used to and I don't know if it makes much of a difference but my radiator is/was plastic, most people here have metal ones due to the fact the plastic ones split and crack here easier.
I never had a plastic rad but obviously plastic won't handle the levels of heat metal can. it's probably best if you "invest" in a metal rad, even if it's an aftermarket OEM-spec rad from the local auto parts store...that will be fine.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Nevada has a dry heat that my car wasn't used to and I don't know if it makes much of a difference but my radiator is/was plastic,
A machine doesn't care about dry or wet heat; heat is heat to a car.

I suspect that the radiator just failed, that the water in the plug holes came from the outside like you think.......and that if you did not let the engine run TOO long while it was hot, then you will be just fine.

Good luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM

if the rad is cracked, with enough fluid in the system and it's leaking.....that would be a good sign to change the rad.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyundaipwr View Post
if the rad is cracked, with enough fluid in the system and it's leaking.....that would be a good sign to change the rad.
She already did that.
See post #1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page