• 1 Post By Bertha Saldivar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
new to Hyundais

hello i recently purchased a 2012 Elantra limited for my wife with 85k miles about 3 weeks ago. Pretty cool car i like it great on gas. I don't know much about these cars and repairs I'm hoping they are easy to work on and affordable parts. I'm looking to do some mods like changing the wheels, rain guards , maybe change the lights , tint, air filter.. nothing crazy since my wife will be driving it with my daughter. looking to pick the members brains and get info on do it your selfs, i like to work on my cars as much as possible. I leave the major repairs to the pros.
mkm558 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
'07 elantra sedan

Welcome to Elantra Forum.
I bought mine just over a year ago, do yourself a favor and purchase a Haynes manual, also check out youtube a wealth of info for just about anything. Just used youtube today to solve starting issue, thanks to "Ratchets and wrenches" my car is running again and learned something in the process. I get most of my supplies from Amazon Prime mostly free two day shipping.

Best of luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a single woman and need to know how do I check the transmission fuel ?
mkm558 likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I think you mean transmission fluid, and is it a manual or automatic, what year?, the procedure is different for both.
Be sure to wear old clothing and non-permeable gloves (neoprene/latex will quickly degrade upon contact w/oils, grease,etc. and aren't very durable) I have a manual trany short for transmission, which requires get car on a level surface, raising car, then jack-stands, on side of trany there is a metal plug that requires a 3/8" ratchet to remove. Make sure you have a container, that you won't use for food, under the plug in case oil/grease leaks out, if fluid does leak out then level is OK, if it doesn't then put your pinky straight in the hole if you feel fluid the it's OK if not then bend down tip of pinky to feel for fluid, if not, you need to add some.
It's recommended when you check fluid level to go ahead and change it, drain plug is on bottom of trany, remove plug and let drain, maybe 10 min or so. replace bottom plug and tighten securely (make note of how much oil drained out, to know about how much oil to refill), refilling is tricky, a small diameter, clear is best, tubing big enough to fit in side fill hole, using (sae 75w/85 gear oil) attach tubing to tip of bottle , make sure you have it beforehand, have a helper keep the tubing from sliding out and protect floor or ground w/cardboard or plastic. Most brands of gear oil have visible "windows" w/graduations showing quantity. Add enough oil to match what drained out that will get it close let oil drain from hose, squeeze more if needed, once oil begins run out of fill hole remove tubing and plug the end, reinstall screw-in plug in trany.
Examine old oil for contaminants, metal shavings/chunks or metal sludge, etc. If you find anything show it to a knowledgeable mechanic for diagnosis.
My haynes manual shows to check manual trany oil level every 15,000mi or 12 mo and change every 30.000mi or 24mo, once you check it yourself it will get easier to do.

Automatic tranys (1996-2010 Hyundai) the dipstick is located beneath the air filter housing. The level must be checked on a level surface engine idling and in neutral, pull out dipstick (it's just like checking engine oil) wipe off re-insert and recheck, if low add enough to bring it up to but not over the full line, also check the color and smell, black or dark-reddish brown or smells burnt it needs to be changed and filter (some years have a spin-on filter on top of trany) also.
Over-filling will likely lead to slippage and/or trany damage a smidge over probably won't hurt anything, best to consult an expert to be certain.
My manual shows
check level every 3000, basically every time oil is changed check trany fluid level and change (2001-2010) every 30,000mi or 24mo.
The drain hole is on bottom of trany (2001 - 2010). As mentioned above

I hope this helps, maintaining a car yourself will boost your confidence and save you money. Most auto parts and Wal-mart stores take used oil and fluids, don't dump on the ground!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page