2013 Elantra Limited back up camera - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2013 Elantra Limited back up camera

I bought a Elantra for my daughter this year and she is telling me that the back up camera is not working. Is this a common problem? any work arounds? I will check it out later when I get home and open it up and look for corrosion etc. how much are these to replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was corrosion that done it. I finally got time to take it out of the car and tear it all down. As soon as you open it up it is quite apparent what happened. Corrosion was everywhere inside it. I used very small scotch bright pad and cleaned the cast housing inside the camera, then when you tear it down further to the circuit board there are 2 layers to it bridged by small billet inserts. Once I took it all apart I used a toothbrush with rubbing alcohol to clean the board and compressed air to dry it all up. Fortunately my corrosion didn't deteriorate the board or circuits. So when I put it back together I used silicone grease to shield the internals from corrosion coming inside. Installed it back on the car and it is working again as good as new.
You have to have multiple star head screw drivers for this job. There are a lot of very small ones in this unit that requires very shallow shaft style screw drivers that you would use on die cast cars of circuit boards. getting past the first 2 layers of screws is the hardest point as they are corroded pretty good and fused on there quite well. So lots of wd40 shots to penetrate and use the correct size screw driver to open it. If you round them up, the unit is garbage because you will never get inside. Patience is key. Soak it first and walk away. Do that a couple times and start into it. Eventually they will all come undone if you have the correct screw driver. My daughter went a week without this camera working, now she is so happy to see it working again.
FYI, I also shot some rust proofing inside the trunk lid and camera area too to make it harder for anything to get back inside this camera.

Last edited by M .Ricketts; Today at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page