Are cameras, sonars a help or hindrance? - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
TDR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are cameras, sonars a help or hindrance?

The Hyundai-first hidden rear-view camera stays hidden until the vehicle is placed in reverse, then flips out from behind its badgework. (Source: Hyundai)

Every couple of days, my Honey Bunches of Oats asks me to help her see better. It’s not a case of mixing up some wonder smoothie for her brown-tint orbs; it’s about cleaning her spectacles, with a soiled factor that speaks of conditioning the lenses with pats of butter.

If I failed to do so, she might end up having heartfelt conversations with our water cooler in a week’s time.

Automobile manufacturers want you, and your car, to see better, as evidenced by the abundance of sensor and camera-driven systems, for everything from effortless parking, to the engagement of the wiper blades, with a sweep specific to the amount of droplets on the windscreen.

Headlamps are now able to auto-dim in night-time high beam situations. These are just the mainstream solutions. Add to this lane departure warnings, even night-vision solutions, and the answer is abundantly clear: the human race is too stupid to drive.

Yet drive we must, and with increasing regularity, and duration. Mix these components with a worldwide dependence on our perceived importance within the social media food chain.

We are fast becoming a society that must text, tweet, and profile update during every waking minute of the day. Flip on the plasma screen and the abundance of advertisements seem to hover between the next smartphone, your next car, and your next anti-depressant.

The days of putting your mind in gear before you put your car in gear are as antiquated as three-speed on the tree. We are unable to disconnect. We are a distracted driving nation.

As of late, an abundance of FoMoCo product has graced the test driveway at Casa Clark. This week, a 2012 Ford Focus SEL, complete with self-park assist, and its posse of seven bumper-mount sensors.

The grouping is part of the sorcery that allows the Focus, and other Blue Ovals, to find the perfect sized space, and self-steer into position, with the only responsibility of the driver being the application of the brake pedal.

It is still a spectral experience, as ghostly servos spin the wheel in front of your eyes. Pundits will argue that this technology is part of the Great Detachment, the removal of driver from machine, in favour of smaller, smarter machines.

It may conjure up discussion of Asimov and the Three Laws, though the answer may be as simple as the change in the elements of roof structure, and diminishing daylight openings.

Until we reach the subterranean veins of Unattainium ore that will allow the supermodel-thin A, B, and C pillars of the 1950s, seeing out of a modern vehicle is getting increasingly difficult, especially with the Top Safety Pick designation from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety hinging on rollover incident roof crush tests. We can’t see out like we used to. We need these sensors more than we realize. They are welcome.

The mainstream will soon see a much-anticipated improvement for the back-up camera, courtesy of the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. The camera stays hidden until the vehicle is placed in reverse gear, then it flips out from behind its Hyundai badgework.

The beauty of this servo is in keeping the camera lens protected from much of the road splash. Much like the Canadian tradition of peeking through the slightest of windshield portholes during winter, consider how many drivers shrug their shoulders at the dirty image, yet still back up, assuming that they can separate a smudge from an errant child.

The US-based National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) had been pushing for mandatory back-up cameras in all cars by 2014.

Considering that achieving this goal is looking more ‘maybe’ by the day, it’s time for some million-dollar ideas as an attachment for the final rule.

For example, on vehicles equipped with rear wiper assemblies, the possibility of moving the camera lens to a location within the path of the wiper sweep. Some form of trunk lid-mounted ball washer for the circular lens. Biodegradable lens cleaning wipes, with a handy dispenser. Better yet, a Grime Sensor that keeps the car firmly in Park until the lens is cleaned.

The problem encountered with many sensor-driven systems is that they can be compromised by dirt and slush. At least there are fail-safes, usually appearing in the driver's information screens.

So, at some point in the cleanliness, or the eventual Murphy’s Law teachings of mechanical failure, the sensor-laden driver will be called upon to put their mind in gear. Will they be able to?

Imagine the excuses that will become part of insurance adjuster jargon in the next 50 years:

“My car's infrared scanner array had grasshopper plasma on its surface, which is why my car failed to alert me to the white-tail deer in my path, which proceeded to lodge itself in my windshield.”

“It was the car’s fault, officer, the car.”

This is what will become of our perception of responsibility in a collision, much like the new perception of intelligence, based on our ability to ask Google for what may or may not be the right answer. Stupid is as stupid does.

The alternative, and one that dates back to the Technicolor days of the General Motors Motorama newsreels, is automation, for highways, and the vehicle pods that will populate them.

Eventually, the sensors will ask us to relinquish control, or simply intervene, and take us out of harm’s way. Those who wax poetic, and long for the days when a personal vehicle was something a driver controlled, will most likely be rounded up for ‘re-programming.’

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...ors-redemption

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM

I wonder how that secret camera mechanism is gonna last through winters. Gonna have to de-ice that lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I think these are gonna cause more problems in the future and be annoying for consumers to pay for costly repairs for these gadgets. Its nice to have as an option but not practical really.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster-juice View Post
I wonder how that secret camera mechanism is gonna last through winters. Gonna have to de-ice that lol

So true, imagine all the problems that will come with that. People who don't de-ice it can risk burning out the motor if they try activating it. I think Hyundai should of went with a less complicated setup. As cool as it is, it will backfire on them
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
TDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster-juice View Post
LOL, that will be huge possibility. Hyundai better do a lot of testing.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR View Post
LOL, that will be huge possibility. Hyundai better do a lot of testing.
They better! I hate recalls. Sitting at a dealership with 15 other people doing the same thing isnt fun. And i cant afford to be away from work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page