User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5 Reasons Why My Next Car Will Be A Hybrid

After all things considered, my next car will be a hybrid

Iím like many of you, constantly shopping for cars. Am I in the market for one? Not really, weíve had our current cars for less than two years, although that 2 year anniversary is coming up later this summer on our SUV. As much as Iíve fallen for the Scion FR-S, Iím not sure thatís in the works right now since our two cars are still relatively new.
So, my analytical skills have come into play and I realize thy there are SO many vehicles are now available in hybrid, electric, even diesel. These options really change the way Iím looking.
Why have I arrived at this staggering conclusion?
1) Gas prices are at $1.50 per liter!!!

Photo Credit: Ken Smith

Yes, I live in Canada, so thatís about $5.68 per gallon. We first heard of these rumors at the end of last summer that fuel prices would be hitting $1.50 plus for 87 gas (which neither of or cars take). Suddenly itís a reality that to fill up, weíre north of $90 per tank.
2) Canít afford a Fisker, yet.

More of SR Autoís Fisker Karma

Ideally, my above mentioned analytical skills point to a Fisker. However, even with the fuel savings, itís a bit out of the budget (for now). The positive here, my better half is warming up to the Fisker Karma. As the sales are picking up in Vancouver, even getting mods; more are on the road. With the anticipated fuel economy based on my collecting of gas receipts, my accountant would think that I had stopped driving. However, speaking of that accountant, does the electricity fueling my car now could as a tax deduction since my car is my work vehicle?
3) Not enough diesel options

Photo Credit: Cars Evolution

There are more options going to diesel, and Iím sure readers in Europe are thinkingÖ Chris, thatís not new. But in Canada and the US, diesel outside of trucks, pick-ups Volkswagen TDI and Mercedes Bluetech, it is. Things like the SmartCar, the BMW X5, more Mercedes models have Bluetech Diesel. Although the cost might be less significant savings to a hybrid, the option to go biodiesel is attractive. Ideally, in this category, a diesel Range Rover e Diesel (pictured above) is at the top of my list. Where is it, Land Rover North America? I certainly donít want to import it from Europe; please launch the e Diesel Plug in to North America too!!
4) More attractive Hybrids

Much like how we evolve as peopleÖ what we see currently in comparison to years past looks so much better. Have you ever looked back at old pictures of yourself? What were you thinking with that shirt???
So then, Toyota, why does the Prius still look the same? Thank goodness that the technology is now readily available in many cars without more than just a badge to identify itself. This being said, if I were to replace the SUV, the BMW Active Hybrid lineup is pretty impressive.
5) Electric Vehicle; not just yet

Read More: Roadmap to Green Cars

I guess Iím just not an early adapter. With the limited places to recharge, at this time, it would be difficult.
I remember in the 80′s my mom had a VW Rabbit that unfortunately didnít make it up a hill on our way home. This happened more than once, and she made friends with the people whoís house phone we needed to use to call a tow truck. I feel a bit like this with the electric carsÖ stranded. If we only had a cell phone then, it wouldnít have been so awkward. Letís get a bit more traction on the electric vehicles first.
If I lived in a much colder environment, say, Edmonton, there would be ample plug-ins since the block heaters have been a feature used on cars to keep from freezing.
As much as I enjoy the reviews, and an impressed by the vehicles, it isnít quite comfortableÖyet. Just golf carts for now. In our environment, our electricity is sustainable and clean generated, but thatís not the case everywhere, and you could actually be having a larger carbon foodprint by going to electric. Check the article.
6) Performance is a Low Priority (bonus)

Majority of my driving is in the city, so performance is not really a top priority. Ideally with enough savings, there could be room in the budget/garage for a weekender. So, this car will not be going on the track, or to the track. Sorry, no hooning here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page