Hyundai will put internet in all its 2015 vehicles - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hyundai will put internet in all its 2015 vehicles

Starting with the 2015 Genesis Hyundai will be putting Verizon internet services in all its 2015 models. The services will be put in Kia vehicles as well. This shows the growing importance of in-car technology today.

Are you excited?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...dot-s-dot-cars
mr.smith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
BKohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not really seeing the point of this. Everyone already has their cell phones and I can stream from my phone to my radio already. It would be easy enough to set it up to steam video. So I'm failing to see the benefit of having to spend money on a wireless contract for your car especially with one of the most expensive wireless companies out there. It's going to attract some people, but I dont think it's gonna be worth the cost. Now if they were to add a wireless reciever so I could use my phone as a hotspot to connect the car to the internet, that would be better.
BKohs is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKohs View Post
I'm not really seeing the point of this. Everyone already has their cell phones and I can stream from my phone to my radio already. It would be easy enough to set it up to steam video. So I'm failing to see the benefit of having to spend money on a wireless contract for your car especially with one of the most expensive wireless companies out there. It's going to attract some people, but I dont think it's gonna be worth the cost. Now if they were to add a wireless reciever so I could use my phone as a hotspot to connect the car to the internet, that would be better.
I think a big part of it is upselling and circumventing handsfree laws. If you turn the car into the cellphone, how can the use of wireless devices be regulated in car, that car is the device.

Now to get this convenient (read dangerous) feature you must PAY... lovely how that works eh..
elliemay is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nah not excited at all

Could care less

Don't want my car to do anything but drive my to work.
import_nation is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad to see they're doing this. Everyone uses internet on their phones even while driving, they might as well implement the tech into cars and make our cars into wifi hot spots.



ElantraFan is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraFan View Post
Glad to see they're doing this. Everyone uses internet on their phones even while driving, they might as well implement the tech into cars and make our cars into wifi hot spots.
yea well i thought they were trying to combat that dangerous practice with the handsfree laws? Guess not anymore eh.

People will soon be begging for autonomous cars, next its autonomous brains, Thinking so you dont have too
elliemay is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
BKohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
yea well i thought they were trying to combat that dangerous practice with the handsfree laws? Guess not anymore eh.

People will soon be begging for autonomous cars, next its autonomous brains, Thinking so you dont have too
The autonomous cars are already in testing stages. I'm willing to guess they will be into their actual road testing in the next couple years and then on the market by 2020 at the latest. as far as brains go, we're already told what to think, how to act, where to shop.... thats been around for a very long time. there is only a small amount not being completely controlled already.

Last edited by BKohs; 01-22-2014 at 12:21 PM.
BKohs is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it makes it so that you can use a wireless connection instead of 3G. So depending on what type of data plan you have it could save you money, especially if you always have kids and passengers in the car. Soon all cars will need this so that they can communicate with other cars and infrastructure so it is a necessary step in the evolution of vehicles.
Helios is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
BKohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I guess it makes it so that you can use a wireless connection instead of 3G. So depending on what type of data plan you have it could save you money, especially if you always have kids and passengers in the car. Soon all cars will need this so that they can communicate with other cars and infrastructure so it is a necessary step in the evolution of vehicles.
For now though, it will be running off a 3G connection that you will have to pay for through Verizon. They claim 4G isn't needed at this time. I'm pretty sure the only reason for having this is to be able to say "look what we have". The connection will be very slow and doing anything other than looking at text will take forever. However I can see where this is going with allowing cars to talk to each other which could lead to better accident prevention. If all of the cars are able to communicate with each other they would be able to alert drivers or even intervene if the driver is unaware of an impending accident due to their actions. That tech is not here yet, but this could very well lead cars down that road and eventually get them to an autonomous state. I personally am not looking forward to this as I love driving. I am the kind of person that will take the "long way" just to have more seat time.
BKohs is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
yea well i thought they were trying to combat that dangerous practice with the handsfree laws? Guess not anymore eh.

People will soon be begging for autonomous cars, next its autonomous brains, Thinking so you dont have too
Gov'ts will love it, more distracted drivers = more tickets to hand out, more rolling ATM's on the road.



ElantraFan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome