LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hyundai Launches ‘N’ Performance Sub-Brand

This just means one step closer to an Elantra performance model

Quote:
Today Hyundai joined the ranks of global automakers with a performance sub-brand.

The company announced its new “N” brand today while introducing its new i20 WRC car, mostly because the rally racer is the first vehicle to bear the branding.

Named after Hyundai’s research and development center in Namyang, South Korea, the brand will release race cars as well as mass-produced high performance cars.

Its Namyang center will collaborate with Hyundai’s new facility at the Nurburgring to build high-performance vehicles. While it’s clear that Hyundai plans to build a more serious line of performance vehicles soon, the company hasn’t said where they will be marketed. Hyundai also hasn’t said if it plans to release completely new vehicles under the brand or if it plans to modify existing nameplates.

With the rally car, Hyundai will make its WRC debut during the 2014 season in Monte Carlo next month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 12:28 PM

the N division... really....

LOL

Sorry i just think its funny.

N for nope
N for no hope
N for non existant

of all the letters. I know its named after their facility, but that's about as much creativity as resides in my baby toe.

Just hope the N division has more balls than the joke IPL, the laughing stock TRD has turned into, what happened to Mugen, even NISMO is getting silly by adding stripes to a micra and calling it a NISMO.

I REALLY, REALLY hope this is about actual performance and not just a not so slick way to tack on additional premiums.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
the N division... really....

LOL

Sorry i just think its funny.

N for nope
N for no hope
N for non existant

of all the letters. I know its named after their facility, but that's about as much creativity as resides in my baby toe.

Just hope the N division has more balls than the joke IPL, the laughing stock TRD has turned into, what happened to Mugen, even NISMO is getting silly by adding stripes to a micra and calling it a NISMO.

I REALLY, REALLY hope this is about actual performance and not just a not so slick way to tack on additional premiums.
I don't see how calling it "N" is so bad. BMW's performance brand is called "M". And TRD makes me think of the word turd, so I think that name is far worse.

Hyundai will definitely be hoping to make money from this but they will be doing good work since they are entering a racing team next year too. We will have to wait and see.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 AM

Hyundai N.

Interesting..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

It will help them if they talk about why they chose "N" as the name for their new performance sub brand

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
I don't see how calling it "N" is so bad. BMW's performance brand is called "M". And TRD makes me think of the word turd, so I think that name is far worse.

Hyundai will definitely be hoping to make money from this but they will be doing good work since they are entering a racing team next year too. We will have to wait and see.
BMW M stands for M-Technik or just Motorsport. I'd say thats far more significant than N for Namyang. TRD stands for Toyota Racing Division, while it may remind you of a turd anyone who follows motorsports knows they built FIERCE racing machines.

The name of your performance division is just as important as the vehicles it puts out. SVT special vehicle team, Mopar instills rear on drag strips everywhere, NISMO is nissan motorsport, even renaults alpine division evokes a better image than N.

Last edited by elliemay; 12-11-2013 at 01:00 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
BMW M stands for M-Technik or just Motorsport. I'd say thats far more significant than N for Namyang. TRD stands for Toyota Racing Division, while it may remind you of a turd anyone who follows motorsports knows they built FIERCE racing machines.

The name of your performance division is just as important as the vehicles it puts out. SVT special vehicle team, Mopar instills rear on drag strips everywhere, NISMO is nissan motorsport, even renaults alpine division evokes a better image than N.
Okay so its really not the "N" name that you don't like, it is that it stands for Namyang. I don't see anything really wrong with a Korean car company naming their performance division after a significant Korean location for the brand.

I don't see how you can judge the name of this brand so harshly when they haven't done much of anything yet, and its name is comparable to other companies' performance division names. Your argument comes down to, "I don't like Namyang."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
Okay so its really not the "N" name that you don't like, it is that it stands for Namyang. I don't see anything really wrong with a Korean car company naming their performance division after a significant Korean location for the brand.

I don't see how you can judge the name of this brand so harshly when they haven't done much of anything yet, and its name is comparable to other companies' performance division names. Your argument comes down to, "I don't like Namyang."
is it actually for Namyang or is it for Nurburgring? I know they opened a testing facility there.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 AM

What car do you think will get the N treatment first?

Genesis coupe?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Garage
Either the Genesis Coupe or the Veloster is my guess. I have to admit, it sounds kinda funny... Genesis N or Veloster N. I cant wait to see what the come up with though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page