Sick of my Elantra Low Profile Tires - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Switching rim sizes

I'm getting much more serious about going to a smaller rim and taller tires to help with a better ride, less road noise and bent rims from pot holes (since I have 2 bent rims now). Tire rack.com makes it look easy but in researching it further from posts on these forums, it appears the offset of our stock rims is 53mm and most of their common rims are in the 40 to 45mm range. Has anyone who's gone to a 15" or 16" run into a problem from the different offset.

Also, I saw a post somewhere about the tire pressure monitoring system sensors not lining up or syncing with different size rims. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

If I switch to a smaller rim I was thinking about going all the way down from 17" to a 15" rim for getting the most rubber between me and the road.

I'd like any information I can get from anyone who's done this downsizing.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 PM

I'd look for some takeoff Elantra wheels. The Eco uses 15" wheels, pretty decent looking too IMO. TPMS should translate over, "lining up" or "synching" sounds like an old wives tale. TPMS doesn't know what size wheel it's in.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 03:52 AM
A.k

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJazzHead View Post
Like others here, the low profile tires are punishing. I see some folks have gone to 215/50-17 tires and have been pleased. Would it be too much to go up to 215/55-17 tires or would there be problems with rubbing anywhere?

Also, are there any suggestions that might have to do with upgrading the suspension that would smooth out the ride even further?

Thanks!
J
I replaced the back tires of the elantra 2011 with 215/55-17 and I am pleased with it and the ride is smother and less noisy , I am considering to replace the front tires with 215/50-17 in order to have a balance instead of the current low profile tires .

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM

I have a 2011 Elantra (Limited), in need of new tires and I'm looking into alternative tires for a smoother/quieter ride.

I'm just a little hesitant in switching as like others. Has anyone who's changed to the 215/50/17 (from the 215/45/17) have any problems in the long run after switching? Any problems with fit or noticeable effects to the speedometer readings, or any steering, braking and handling issues?

Thanks!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM

205.55.17 might work too. You can change diameter by a half inch or more, just figure in your speedo and odo error. Taller skinnier tires will in general ride better.

2017 Soul
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 PM
VSX

Low profile tires suck! Unless your mario andretti

First lets look at tires size and what that means 215/45/R17. The first number 215 is a metric number or 215 millimeters and measures the from sidewall to sidewall on the tire.

The second number is a percentage. In this case 45%. For example, in a size P215/45 R15 tire, the 45 means that the height is equal to 45% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be. 45% of the 215 millimeters = 96.75 milimeter.

Switching to a to a P215/50 R15 will increase your sidewall 215 x 50% = 107.5 mm. So you would go from a sidewall height of 96.75 mm to 107.5 mm. A increase of 10.75 mm. To convert to inches here is the formula. 10.75 mm x 0.03937007874 = .42 inches which is almost 1/2 inch.

Not sure less than 1/2 inch of sidewall is going to result in a much smoother ride but it will help.

THE LOW PROFILE TIRES ARE MADE FOR GRIP NOT RIDE. BUT THEY LOOK COOL BECAUSE YOU CAN USE A LARGER RIM. UNLESS YOUR GOING TO THE TRACK NEVER BUY A CAR WITH LOW PROFILE TIRES. I was given a loaner car from a dealer with these low profile tires while mine was in the shop. I drove about a half mile turned around and told the dealer that I cannot drive 200 miles with a car that rides like a lumber wagon, the idiot from the dealership argued with me and so I made him go for a ride in that car and then in another with regular tires and he couldnt believe the difference. And he sales cars?

ALSO BEWARE THAT THE PRICE OF THESE TIRES THAT ARE LOW PROFILE AND FIT A LARGER RIM ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. TO REPLACE A LOW PROFILE TIRE ON A CORVETTE IS GOING TO COST YOU UPWARDS OF $400 PER TIRE.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJazzHead View Post
Like others here, the low profile tires are punishing. I see some folks have gone to 215/50-17 tires and have been pleased. Would it be too much to go up to 215/55-17 tires or would there be problems with rubbing anywhere?

Also, are there any suggestions that might have to do with upgrading the suspension that would smooth out the ride even further?

Thanks!
J
I replaced the back tires of the elantra 2011 with 215/55-17 and I am pleased with it and the ride is smother and less noisy , I am considering to replace the front tires with 215/50-17 in order to have a balance instead of the current low profile tires .
Which brand tires did you go with? I'm not a fan of the Continentals that came on it, they are so LOUD. I'm debating Pirelli or Michelin. I put Pirellis on my Volvo and absolutely loved the extra traction I gained and the overall performance along with no road noise. I used my dad's Malibu and he swears by Michelin but I thought they were kinda loud with a rougher ride. Anyone have on input on what they replaced their Continentals with? I'm debating the 215/50-17 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page