2013 Elantra rear tires keep failing way early. Cupping. I need MORE SIDEWALL! - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thatchmo62

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2013 Elantra rear tires keep failing way early. Cupping. I need MORE SIDEWALL!

Summary
1. If you have rough roads to drive the Elantra limited with the 215 45r17 is a set up that satan musta given me. They keep failing early from cupping. Had anyone else had this problem? Have you resolved it?
2. I’m gonna try putting on a 16 inch tire with more sidewall to hopefully save the rear tires from failing so early and improve this god Awful ride quality. Has anyone done this?
3. The 215 45 17 is pretty, and they do handle smooth roads delightfully..... but I hate em so much
4. How is there not a class action lawsuit on this terrible tire/ suspension set up
————————————————————————

—————Long version ———————-

We live in southern Nh and in the winter the roads get Terrible where we drive north to go skiing. The 215 45 17 is straight garbage here. We keep trashing rear tires in this stupid size.

I know what the dealer is gonna say. “Pay us to replace the rear shocks, give you an alignment and replace the rear tires with another new pair”

Well no way Jose. No way Jose at all. No sir e bob. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice and I start making other plans buddy.

(I figured I had a bad rear wheel bearing by the sound and feel of it but, on the lift my local garage showed me the cupping of the rear tires. They said Honda civics have the same size tire and suspension set up and they see it all the time as well on them. My buddy has the 215 45 17, on his 2011 focus and he has the same rear cupped tire issue.... I google 2013 Hyundai Elantra rear tires wearing out/cupping.....and I find A TON OF OTHER OWNERS WITH THE SAME ISSUE. They have trashed multiple rear tires on cars with only 50k on the clock! It gets me all hot and bothered)

My wife before I was with her trashed a set of rear tires prematurely because then were all cupped up from the garbage suspension this thing has. That was at like 75k on the car. Now at 95k the rear Yokohama avid avenders that the dealer ripped her off on are all cupped up and ready to go in the darn trash can. These tires look brand new too....it’s like lighting my money on fire!

The Elantra is a pretty sweet ride, but Hyundai was smoking Something when they put this race tire on this tightly sprung economy car.

I’m gonna try putting some old accord 205 60 16 tires on. They are 1 inch in diameter wider. Anyone ever try to go that much wider?

Last edited by Drew Babich; 02-20-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Maybe rotating the tires every 7500 miles as is recommended by the factory would slow down the premature wear. Also, the rear shocks are junk from the factory and should be replaced with KYB, Monroe or Gabriels. Easy do it yourself project.
racer92gt likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:57 AM

Garage
I know this is a late reply, but the problem you are having is 100% due to the alignment. That's not to say the car is out of spec, but rather hyundai, and just about every other car company are setting the cars up for a certain ride quality/feel. In most cases they are trying to achieve a sportier feel with thier economy cars. What that means is more negative camber and negative toe angles. If you take it to a hyundai dealer for an alignment, they will put the car into factory spec. If you take it to a decent alignment shop they can tweak it to help with tire life. Keep in mind, this will change the handling characteristics of the car and may require different suspension components to keep the car from feeling unsettled. Honestly doing the KYB shock upgrade and then a little less toe and camber on the alignment should completely solve the issue. There are also tires out there made for this issue. Nitto neogen tires for example use a different rubber compound on the inner tread. I used to have them on my VW that was lowered and ran a lot of negative camber to fit the tires. After almost 30k miles the neogens had a fairly evenly worn. Just keep in mind manufacturers are interested in selling cars. In more recent years consumers have been more focused on performance over comfort and form over function. Until that mindset changes, companies will continue with whatever trends are selling the best.

2017 Base+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page