Elantra Forum banner

need help with USB drives for 2013 SE coupe

20K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  sagmartcars 
#1 ·
hello everyone,

I am here because I have been having an annoying problem with the usb drive on this car for months and have run out of ideas on how to fix it

I am an owner of a 2013 Hyundai elantra coupe SE. i have had it so far for almost 2 years now. my coupe has the head unit with NAV. for my last 2 cars now i use usb memory sticks for music.

since i had the car i have been using 8 and 16GB usb drives an never had any big issues. back in april i was changing to a song and the unit froze and then gave me a message of " no media found". i found out the USB drive failed and went and bought another 16GB drive and it was having difficulty reading it and most of the time it would just go to "media connection error". i tried an 8GB drive i was using with it before and it behaves like the new drive.

Since then i have tried various brand;s and sizes of drives. the last drive ii trioed was a 4GB USB drive. besides that i went to the dealership and they sre not aware of any issues like this but because it is still under warrenty they have replaced both the harness and they even agreed to replace the headunit but the issue still remains.

This problem really is mind blowing to me because they replaced everything i can think of to fix this problem if it is hardware related and ever since i got the car the only problem i had with the unit was an occasional usb scan when i am listening to the radio or a brief dc of the drive as well but nothing as bad as this

I am just wondering if anyone has run into this before and if so have you found any solution to it

I would appreciate any help anyone can give cause i have 10,000 miles left before my warranty runs out

See less See more
#4 ·
No, the actual port you'd plug the cable into. It may have a dead spot on one of the pins, one of the pins could be bent, crumb fell in it...
The cable (or connection) from that connector to the headunit could possibly be bad, but if the dealer replaced the harness I doubt it.

#5 ·
yea i ruled almost everything out but the cable connecting from the head unit to the harness. 3 days after replacing the harness it started throwing the error again. do you know if the cable is just a common USB cable connecting both of them or some proprietary connector?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.